Note that under no circumstances you can expect MLdonkey to use less than let's say 15MB,
although some versions run stable at significantly more.
- set ip_blocking_descriptions false, older versions had default true
- searches with large result lists use lots of RAM, take care to forget searches when finished
- disable Overnet support, that is said to be memory hungry (unconfirmed, works for me --Spiralvoice 08:02, 17 February 2007 (PST))
- download fewer (popular) files at once or reduce the value of ED2K-max_sources_per_file to 1000
- use telnet or web interfaces instead of GTK GUIs
- try reducing the size of your shared list. For example, try sharing 200 files instead of 1000
- disable GeoIP if is not needed by editing web_infos in downloads.ini and removing the maxmind URL
- IP filtering can be disabled as well, but that should only be done if security is no concern
- when compiling, disable all unused networks; secure user identification (Donkey SUI) can be disabled as well (by using the configure command-line parameter --disable-donkey-sui)
Some Windows users reported high RAM usage in versions >= 2.7.x.
Be sure to check if your system runs problematic software.